Sunday, July 28, 2013

Thoughts on English school lunches

When I lived in England, I had the pleasure of experiencing one of the coolest things EVER!  Family Style school lunch!

This is an example of what I had for my time in England


I went to school in the UK for about 5 months and during that time, I enjoyed some very different things about their school system.  The most bizzare and awesome of which was the way that they served their school lunches.  Here is a bit about how it was done.

Every kid was assigned a table.  This table was our lunch table for that year.  We got to know all the people very well, and every day we were assigned different roles in how we would assist with the meal.

The tables were all round and everyone had real china and silverware... Imagine that!  Some would be servers on a given day, while some would clear the table.  Others were assigned to bring certain dishes to the tables, etc...

I don't remember absolutely everything about this, yet I remember enjoying many things about this style of school lunch.

The things that were gained from this are:

- Manners and etiquette

- Conversational skills

- Respect for the food being served

- A chance to get to know my table mates

- A purpose of being during lunch

- Skills that relate to everyday dining

- A reason to take our time while we ate

- Understanding of why we might or might not like something

- Sharing the meal with others


The only thing I didn't like about this style of dining was that they called lunch "dinner."  I never got that and never will!
Anyways, I think American kids could have a lot to learn if we adopted a lunch style similar to this!

No comments:

Post a Comment